The inaugural National Health Equity Hackathon will focus on creating data-driven solutions for the underserved healthcare population. See our Health Equity Hackathon Schedule, and the Health Equity Hackathon Guide.
The hackathon will be October 19 – 21 at Capital Factory in Austin, Texas and includes sponsorship support from the Institute for Diversity and Health Equity of the American Hospital Association and CareSet Systems, with additional support from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the American Nurses Association, Design Institute for Health at Dell Medical School at The University of Texas at Austin, Innovation Learning Network, Socrata, and others.
Examples of people that do not have equal access or quality of care include:
- the economically disadvantaged
- those affected by racial or gender disparities
- infants and children
- people living with chronic illness
- the frail elderly
- the homeless
- those affected by addiction, such as the opioid crisis
Using open source datasets, this weekend hackathon will gather multiple tech disciplines around a common goal of eliminating health disparities. Attendees will self-select to a team with diverse perspectives. Local and nationally-acclaimed mentors and database experts will be accessible throughout the event.
We want to see you in Austin!
Beginning Friday, October 19
Ending Sunday, 4:00 PM CDT
Reception 4:00 PM
Early Orientation 5:00 PM
Late Orientation 6:30 PM
701 Brazos Street
Austin, TX 78701
Are you passionate about using IT to solve systemic issues in population health? Do you want to meet and work with experts in the growing field of healthcare IT? We are looking for innovators in the following roles:
- data visualization experts
- game designers
- health economists
- talented students
- leaders in population health or health policy
- other curious IT or healthcare experts
The Health Equity Hackathon will be an annual gathering for IT innovation and population health leaders.
In a time when not everyone is born with equal access to awesome healthcare, we will collaborate and explore transformative innovations that help eliminate health disparities and build a community of problem solvers.
First year goals
- Join us to create data-driven solutions for the underserved healthcare population.
- Identify opportunities for sharing data and propose metrics for monitoring progress.
- Establish an annual hackathon space to share ideas and make connections.